Novelist Susan Vreeland said, “Historical fiction makes us feel. It presents to us a truth more human than what history books present.” Wise words. In the spirit of that statement, the following historical novels show the human side of history exceedingly well. They make us feel.
- The Railwayman’s Wife by Ashley Hay
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
- All That is Solid Melts into Air by Darragh McKeon
- The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck.
- Leaving Atlanta by Tayari Jones
- The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman
- Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez